Sunday, January 24, 2010

Severly Allergic to Milk does not mean Lactose Intollerant

I can't tell you how many times people have thought that Jack is just Lactose Intollerant. It is NOT the same thing! If Jack has one bite of Milk or any milk product his throat could close up and he could possibly stop breathing. I only wish he got a bad case of Diarrhea! Obviously, there is a BIG difference in a tummy ache and not being able to breath and swelling/itching all over.
It is definitely hard to be patient with family, friends, and people who just don't get it. I have to constantly remind myself to just help them understand and let it go. Part of me always wants to say...Do you think I am so protective of my child and what he eats because he might have diarrhea?!!!!!!
It is amazing how insensitive some people can be also. Our own relatives have gone on and on in front of Jack about how great a birthday cake looks, or how great the cookie they are eating is, or hands out ice cream to everyone and then jack himself has to say "I can't eat that. I am allergic to milk." I mean seriously you have known this child for four yrs of his life and you couldn't have left the chocolate candy bars in your purse until we left?!! grrrrrrrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment